Module 6: Flipped Learning

My Flipped Lesson

The learning objective for this flipped lesson is to use division to convert simple fractions to decimals without remainders or repeating decimals. This objective is best met through my flipped lesson because I provided a song as part of the introduction that I believe my students will want to replay again and again. In class, that probably would not be easy to do because it would take too much time. The other videos and the practice page are easy to follow and complete without my direct instruction.

My Introductory Tile gives explicit directions for students to follow in my flipped lesson.

First Exposure to converting fractions to decimals occurs in tile 2 and tile 3 through song and video tutorials. I provided directions on each tile for the students to follow.

My students will then move on to tile 4 to check for understanding via my teacher-made practice page in Google Doc format. They will convert 4 fractions to decimals and check their work using the provided answer key.

Prior to completing the quiz, there is one more optional video tutorial on tile 5 that includes a few more challenging fractions to convert to decimals. It also provides more guided practice if needed.

To hold students accountable, they will earn Joyteam Tech Tokens when they take the quiz on tile 6. They are converting 4 fractions to decimals and earning tokens according to how many they scored correctly, 4 possible tokens. Joyteam Tech Tokens are redeemable for extra tech time during play breaks, for Tech Tutors, or they can be saved up for Tech Leadership when students are asked to demonstrate tech skills for others.

View the Flipped Lesson here:

What Follows the Flip?

A higher-level activity that we would do after completing my flipped lesson is “Silent Partners.” My students will randomly be given various fractions and decimals on index cards. They will stand in a big circle in the room, hold up their fraction or decimal, and look around the circle for its matching card. Once a student finds a match, they will sit down with their partner/s and demonstrate on the back of the car why they match. The goal is for each student to eventually find their matching answer and have quiet partner dialogue while demonstrating the mathematical procedures they used to solve their problems.